Connect with us

Politics

Mike Pence rejects suggested link between Trump rhetoric and violence

Published

on


mike pence
Vice
President Mike Pence.

Associated
Press/Evan Vucci


  • Vice President Mike Pence spoke about President Donald
    Trump’s rhetoric in Las Vegas on Saturday. 
  • He rejected the suggestion that Trump’s rhetoric contributed
    to recent bursts of violence in the United States. 
  • His statements follow a shooting which left 11 people dead in
    a Pittsburgh synagogue on Saturday. And last week, several bombs
    were mailed to a number of political and media figures linked to
    the Democratic Party.

Vice President Mike Pence rejected a suggestion that President
Donald Trump’s political rhetoric contributed to the shooting
that
left 11 people dead in a Pittsburgh synagogue on Saturday
or
the
bombs that were mailed to a number of political figures
last
week.

While in Las Vegas for a Republican rally on Saturday, Pence told

NBC News
that “everyone has their own style” and that “people
on both sides of the aisle use strong language about our
political differences.”

“But I just don’t think you can connect it to acts or threats of
violence,” he said. “And I don’t think the American people
connect it.”

Pence’s comment came just hours after a 46-year-old man was
accused of
entering the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh and opening
fire on members of the congregation.

The shooting killed 11 people and injured six others, making it
the deadliest attack on the Jewish community in US history,
according to
a statement from the Anti-Defamation League
.

And last week,
pipe bombs were mailed to more than a dozen prominent political
figures
, iincluding former President Barack Obama and
former Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton.
 Well-known figures connected to the
Democratic Party and CNN’s New York bureau were also targeted.

Pence called for “unity” at a campaign event shortly after
Saturday’s shooting took place.

“What happened this morning in Pittsburgh was not just a criminal
act, it was evil,” he told NBC News, adding that the Trump
administration is “absolutely determined to do everything in our
power to prevent these types of attacks from happening in the
future.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement Find your dream job

Trending