Connect with us

Politics

Khashoggi fiancé Hatice Cengiz: US efforts to solve death not sincere

Published

on


hatice Cengiz
Hatice Cengiz on
Haberturk, October 26, 2018.

Haberturk

  • Hatice Cengiz, the fiancé of slain journalist Jamal
    Khashoggi, said the US is not taking his murder investigation
    seriously.
  • She spoke on Turkish TV station Habertürk on Friday, and
    said Donald Trump was being “very political” with the
    case. 
  • Khashoggi, a critic of the Saudi regime, was murdered
    after he disappeared into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on
    October 2. 

  • Here’s everything we know about the Washington Post
    journalist’s murder so far.

The fiancé of murdered journalist
Jamal Khashoggi

Hatice Cengiz, accused the
United States of not being sincere in its efforts to solve his
killing.

During her first TV interview since Khashoggi
died, Cengiz indicated her distrust of President Donald
Trump and said she had turned down an invitation to travel to the
US, Reuters
reported
.

A brief published a few hours after the interview
said:

“[Cengiz] did not accept U.S. President Donald
Trump’s invitation to visit the White House because she thought
it was aimed at influencing public opinion in his favor.

“In an interview with Habertürk TV, Hatice Cengiz said she would
not go to the White House until the United States was sincere in
its efforts to solve Khashoggi’s killing, demanding that all
those responsible be tried and punished.”


Habertürk published footage of the interview (in Turkish)
here
.


According to a Habertürk transcript of the
interview
Cengiz also spoke about the emotional
strain of Khashoggi’s disappearance.

She spoke about Khashoggi’s worry over his appointment at the
Saudi consulate, and that he thought of Turkey as a safe country.


Jamal Khashoggi
Jamal
Khashoggi.

Reuters

Cengiz previously wrote
an article in the New York Times on Saturday
saying she will
only speak with US President Donald Trump, “if he makes a
genuine contribution to the efforts to reveal what happened
inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul that day.” 

On Sunday, the
Saudi Foreign Minister said Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin
Salman had no part to play in Khashoggi’s murder
 and
that it was a rogue operation.

Saudi Arabia
initially denied all knowledge of Khashoggi’s whereabouts

after he went missing on October 2.

Continue Reading
Advertisement Find your dream job

Trending