Connect with us

Featured

Woman’s Day magazine ‘blatantly incorrect’ over Harry and Meghan split claim | World News

Published

on

An Australian gossip magazine that claimed the Royal Family confirmed Harry and Meghan’s marriage “was over” was “blatantly incorrect”, the press watchdog has found.

Woman’s Day published a cover story in May last year that said: “Palace confirms the marriage is over! Why Harry was left with no choice but to end it.”

The article on page 12 claimed Prince Harry had been left “enraged and humiliated” over “shock revelations” about Meghan’s past, including her “online relationship” with British singer Matt Cardle.

LONDON, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 16: X-Factor winner Matt Cardle performs at HMV at Whiteleys shopping centre on December 16, 2010 in London, England. (Photo by Ian Gavan/Getty Images)
Image:
The magazine ‘shock revelations’ about Meghan’s ‘online relationship’ with the singer

The Australian Press Council ruled on Monday that the headline was “blatantly incorrect and not supported by the article’s contents”.

It said the headline was “more than just an exaggeration, and that it was misleading” therefore two of the council’s main principles were breached.

The council said because the palace did not complain to them “it was reasonable” for Woman’s Day to not publish a correction.

However, the magazine, published by Bauer Media, had to release the full adjudicaton in print and online on Monday.

More from Duchess Of Sussex



Harry explains why he had to walk away from royal life - but it's not the deal he wanted



‘My great sadness that it’s come to this’ – Harry

During the investigation, Woman’s Day argued that weekly celebrity publications provide “light entertainment” and readers “understand this is the case”.

It said it would be “unreasonable to hold such publications to a standard similar to that of other news media” and readers “expect a level of exaggeration in coverlines and headlines”.

Harry and Meghan did not consult
Image:
The press watchdog said the story was more than just an exaggeration

Woman’s Day also said nobody had complained about the article to them.

Harry and Meghan have been highly critical of the press, and have taked legal action against several media organisations.

Prince Harry has spoken of his concern for the safety of his wife and said last year every time he hears a camera click it takes him “straight back” to the night his mother Princess Diana died.

Thomas Markle being interviewed by Channel 5
Image:
Meghan has sued the Daily Mail for publishing a letter from her to her father, Thomas Markle

The duke filed claims in September against the owners of The Sun and the Daily Mirror over allegations his voicemail messages were illegally intercepted in the early 2000s.

Days later, Meghan took legal action against the Daily Mail for publishing a letter to her estranged father Thomas Markle – who has promised to appear in court to testify against her.

Prince Harry lost a complaint against the Mail On Sunday in January over a story about photos he posted on social media of African wildlife that the paper claimed “did not quite tell the full story”.

The duke and duchess pose with the newborn son in May
Image:
The duke and duchess are splitting their time between Canada and the UK

Since they stepped back as senior royals and moved to Canada, the Sussexes have warned about continued harassment by paparazzi photographers after images of Meghan walking with baby Archie and her dogs through a public park were published.

They also issued new guidance for the media, including not participating in the Royal Rota system which has given UK print and broadcast media exclusive access to official royal engagements for more than 40 years.

Royal correspondents were specifically picked out in the new guidance, with the couple claiming their reputation as credible sources is a “misconception”.

Advertisement Find your dream job

Trending