Connect with us

Featured

Six migrants rescued from dinghy off Dover coast

Published

on

Six migrants have been rescued from a dinghy off the coast of Dover.

The group of five men and one woman, all of whom said they were Iranian nationals, have been transferred to immigration officials for interview.

In a statement, the Home Office said: “Border Force was contacted by the coastguard at around 3am on Tuesday 11 December.

“A Border Force cutter and a lifeboat were deployed to assist a dinghy off the coast of Dover with six people on board.”

The group received medical assistance after being brought ashore, the Home Office said.

Sky News reported last month on the “unprecedented” number of migrants entering the UK via dinghy, with 86 people picked up on the channel in a two week period.








1:20

Video:
November: Night mission to rescue migrant dinghy

Those crossing face cold and often dangerous waters on their way to reach the UK.

The Coastguard confirmed to Sky News that it was assisting the UK Border Force with the latest incident.

“HM Coastguard is committed to safeguarding life around the seas and coastal areas of this country,” it said in a statement.

“We are only concerned with preservation of life, rescuing those in trouble and bringing them safely back to shore, where they will be handed over to the relevant partner emergency services or authorities.”

The rise in channel crossings corresponds with tighter border checks in France and crackdowns on migrant camps that have made it more difficult to reach the UK by other means.

The Home Office says its work with French authorities and “enhanced security measures” have seen a 50% reduction in what it calls “clandestine detections” in the UK since 2015.

The European Union’s asylum office said people from Iran and Turkey are increasingly applying for asylum protection through the EU.

Advertisement Find your dream job

Trending