Connect with us

Featured

One Dead After Knife Attack In Australian City Of Melbourne

Published

on

One person was stabbed to death and two others wounded after they were attacked by a man in the centre of the Australian city of Melbourne on Friday, police said.

Local media reported that investigators believe terrorism could have been a motive for Friday’s incident.

The suspect, who threatened officers with a knife, was shot by police and died in hospital, Graham Ashton, chief commissioner of police, confirmed. 

 


NewsBytes

A car was seen ablaze in a central Melbourne street on Friday after a man stabbed several people.

Superintendent David Clayton told reporters earlier that one person died at the scene during the attack, which began just after 4.20pm local time.

“Three people have been stabbed, unfortunately one of them is deceased at the scene,” Clayton said. 

Officers initially responded to a report of a car on fire. “A man was arrested at the scene and has been taken to hospital under police guard in a critical condition,” Victoria Police said in statement.

“A small number of people are being treated for stab wounds.”

One of the officers raises his weapon, a shot is heard and the man falls to the ground clutching his chest.

Victoria’s ambulance service said that three injured people were being treated at the scene. A Reuters witness said that the city centre was closed off by police and that dozens of officers were patrolling.

Australia has been on heightened alert from 2015 for attacks by home-grown militants returning from fighting in the Middle East.

The street where the car caught fire was the scene in January 2017 of a fatal but not terror-related incident in which a man drove his car at pedestrians at high speed, killing six people and wounding about 30.

The mayor of Melbourne, Sally Capp, posted a message of support after the attack.

Reuters contributed to this report. 

Advertisement Find your dream job

Trending