Connect with us

Featured

Man describes moment he pulled Duke of Edinburgh from overturned Land Rover

Published

on

A man has described the moment he lifted Prince Philip out of his overturned Land Rover after a “horrendous” crash near Sandringham Estate.

Roy Warne said he had some of the Duke of Edinburgh’s blood on his hands after helping free the 97-year-old from the wreckage.

Buckingham Palace has insisted the duke was not injured, but Norfolk Police, who are investigating the crash, have said a passenger in the other car suffered a broken wrist.

A nine-month-old baby boy was also in the Kia involved in the crash with the duke’s Land Rover just before 3pm on Thursday.

Police have said the child was uninjured.

A picture from the scene of the crash shows a vehicle on its side. Pic: KLFM
Image:
A picture from the scene of the crash shows a vehicle on its side. Pic: KLFM

Mr Warne, 75, has told how Philip was “shaken up” and was “asking if anyone was hurt” after the crash on the junction of the B1349 and the A149.

He said: “There was another car with a baby in the back, that was my main concern.

“And with another passerby, we got the baby out.

“I then went to the other car, which was on its side, and there was a gentleman in there otherwise known as the Duke of Edinburgh.”

Mr Warne has said he didn’t realise at first that it was Philip inside the overturned Land Rover, and added: “I told him to move one of his legs to make room for the other leg, and then I put my hands under his arms and helped ease him out backwards.

“And then I saw his face.”

Mr Warne said he had to free the Duke of Edinburgh from either “the corner of the windscreen” or the sunroof of his vehicle.

He continued: “He didn’t seem to be in pain, I think he was pretty clearly concerned and very shocked in the circumstances.

“It was a horrendous accident, it’s just amazing that nobody was seriously injured.”

Mr Warne added that he had Philip’s blood on his hands after the collision, and that a member of royal staff gave him a wipe to clean it off.

Philip and the other driver were both breath tested after the collision and gave negative readings.

The duke spoke with Mr Warne’s wife and asked if anyone was hurt in the crash.

He continued: “He’s a very old man and he was obviously very shaken up.”

Prince Philip car crash
Image:
Prince Philip was in his Land Rover at the time of the crash

Mr Warne had first helped the two women and a baby who were in the Kia.

He said: “My main concern was the other car because there was a lot of smoke around it and I was worried the tank might go up.

“The windows were down, and me and another chap, we got the baby out.”

Mr Warne told The Sun that he watched as Philip’s car “came across the A149 like a somersault”.

He added that he overhead the duke tell police he had been “dazzled by the sun”.

Mr Warne has suggested the duke may have been accompanied by an entourage in another car, which is likely to have included police officers.

Wendy and Ian Greenstreet from Kings Lynn, Norfolk, drove past shortly after the crash.

Mrs Greenstreet told Sky News: “It was horrendous, there was glass and bits of car all over the road.

“It was horrible, horrible.”

Broken glass and car parts on the side of the A149 near to the Sandringham Estate where the Duke of Edinburgh was involved in a road accident
Image:
Broken glass and car parts can be seen on the side of the road

The couple did not realise until later in the day that the Duke of Edinburgh had been involved.

Mrs Greenstreet added: “We were actually really shocked that it was Prince Philip, we just couldn’t believe it.

“To think of the age of him, and to think he actually got out of that car alive… the scene was actually horrible.

“You wouldn’t have though that anybody would have got out of that car the way they did, and for it to be him, you know, was crazy.”

Mr Greenstreet said he saw one car in a hedge and a Land Rover discovery on its side after the crash.

He added that it was clear the airbags had gone off in Philip’s vehicle.

Mr Greenstreet continued: “They are trying to cut the speed limit down that road because there’s been a few accidents down that road.

“It’s a very fast very quick road.”

Wendy and Ian Greenstreet drove past shortly after the collision
Image:
Wendy and Ian Greenstreet drove past shortly after the collision

Norfolk Police says the driver of the Kia, a 28-year-old woman, suffered cuts to her knee while her passenger, a 45-year-old woman, was the one who sustained a broken wrist.

Both casualties were treated at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn and were discharged last night.

Police are investigating the crash as a standard procedure.

Driving tests were introduced in Britain in 1935, prompting a Buckingham Palace spokeswoman to confirm that Philip holds a driving licence.

Norfolk Council has said a 50mph speed limit will now be imposed on the A149 and speed cameras will be installed.

Martin Wilby, Chairman of the council’s environment, development and transport committee, said: “We have been looking closely into the safety of the A149 for some time.

“Based on the report and our dedication to the safety of the people in Norfolk, the committee has agreed to reduce the speed limit of the A149 to 50mph on two sections of the road and approved the Norfolk Camera Safety Partnership scheme to install road safety cameras along the road.”

There were 40 accidents in the area, including five fatalities, between May 2012 and May 2018.

Councillors will vote on whether to reduce the speed limit from 60mph to 50mph.

Nick Freeman, the lawyer dubbed Mr Loophole for helping celebrities accused of speeding offences, has said the duke could be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention if he was deemed to have made a mistake.

But he added: “If the sun was so low and right in your eyes, sometimes it’s impossible to see, and that may well have been the case and that would afford him a defence.”

Theresa May has sent a private message to Prince Philip wishing him well.

Advertisement Find your dream job

Trending