Connect with us


M25 road rage killer Kenneth Noye could win freedom from jail this week | UK News



Road rage killer Kenneth Noye could be freed from jail this week.

The Parole Board is due to tell the convicted murderer on Wednesday whether his release application has been authorised.

One of Britain’s most notorious criminals, Noye, 71, stabbed to death 21-year-old Stephen Cameron in an attack on the M25 in Kent in 1996.

He was sentenced to life with a minimum term of 16 years in 2000.

Mr Cameron’s father Ken told the Sun newspaper that Noye should only be allowed to leave jail “in a wooden box”.

Speaking on Sunday, the 23rd anniversary of Mr Cameron’s death, he added: “The timing of it is heartless.

“All we ever wanted was justice. Life should mean life for him.”

A Parole Board spokeswoman told Sky News: “An oral hearing has been listed for the parole review of Kenneth Noye and is scheduled to take place this month.

“A panel of the Parole Board will consider a range of evidence before making its decision. This will be done with great care and with public safety the number one priority.”

If Noye’s release is approved by the Parole Board, he will be freed in about three months, according to the Sun.

Stephen Lee Cameron was stabbed to death on the M25
Stephen Cameron was stabbed to death on the M25 in front of his 17-year-old fiancee

Justice campaigner and former probation union official Harry Fletcher told the paper: “It is highly likely that the Parole Board will decide to release Noye.”

Noye was moved to Standford Hill open prison in Kent in 2017 and has reportedly been allowed to visit home without an escort and take part in community visits since April last year.

After killing Mr Cameron, Noye fled to Spain but was tracked down to a villa in Andalucia and extradited in 1998.

At his trial he admitted wielding the knife, but claimed he had acted in self-defence in a fight with Mr Cameron. The jury found him guilty of murder by a majority of 11-1.

He lost appeals against his conviction in 2001 and 2011.

Noye had previously been jailed for handling bullion stolen in the infamous 1983 Brink’s-Mat warehouse heist at Heathrow airport.

“I hope you all die of cancer,” he shouted at the jury after an 11-week trial at the Old Bailey in 1986.

He was jailed for 14 years and fined £500,000 plus £200,000 costs, and was released two years before the M25 attack.

Noye also knifed a police officer to death at his home in Kent in 1985, but was cleared of murder or manslaughter on the grounds of self-defence.

Detective constable John Fordham was stabbed 10 times while investigating Noye’s links to the airport robbery.

Advertisement Find your dream job