Connect with us


Libby Squire investigation ‘still very much active’ – police | UK News



Police investigating the death of student Libby Squire say the inquiry is “still very much active”.

There are “numerous enquiries, analysis and examinations” taking place, detectives added, and it remains a homicide inquiry.

Four months after the 21-year-old went missing, her body, which was found in the Humber Estuary, has still not been returned to her family.

Libby Squire in Paris in May 2017 during a gap year when she visited the French city with friends
Libby in Paris in May 2017 during a gap year

The results of a post-mortem examination have not been revealed for “operational reasons”, Humberside Police said in an update.

The force added that “further tests have since been undertaken with results pending”.

An inquest previously heard that Libby’s body was identified by her fingerprints.

Libby, from High Wycombe, who was studying philosophy at Hull University, was reported missing in the early hours of Friday 1 February after a night out.

Her body was discovered about 20 miles (32km) from Grimsby Docks, just over six weeks later, on Wednesday 20 March.

Detective Superintendent Martin Smalley, who is leading the investigation, said: “I want to clearly and firmly state [that] the investigation is still very much active.”

He added: “Libby’s death remains, and is being investigated, as a homicide, with numerous enquiries, analysis and examinations continuing to take place as part of the investigation with assistance from search specialists as well as experts in forensics and oceanography to aid its progression.”

Mr Smalley said there was a “dedicated team of detectives working on the investigation, which is both complex and protracted”.

His team needed to ensure it was “meticulous with every aspect and detail covered and all the evidence available to us is comprehensively collated”, he added.

Libby Squire in Paphos in Cyprus during a family holiday
Libby in Paphos in Cyprus during a family holiday

The detective thanked Libby’s parents “for their patience and understanding”, adding that “we endeavour to return Libby to them as soon as we can”.

He continued: “Due to operational reasons, the results of the post-mortem examination were not released at the time it was concluded. As further tests have since been undertaken with results pending, details are as yet unable to be released.”

During the investigation into the disappearance, 24-year-old Pawel Relowicz, from Raglan Street in Hull, was arrested on suspicion of abduction.

He has been remanded in custody charged with unrelated offences.

Advertisement Find your dream job