Connect with us


Grandfather stabbed to death after enjoying pint at local pub in Southall, west London | UK News



A man stabbed to death after enjoying a pint at his local pub has been named as grandfather-of-four and jazz musician Allan Isichei.

Mr Isichei was attacked on Saturday evening after leaving the Plough Inn pub in Southall, west London, where he regularly performs his music.

The 69-year-old was walking to his home in St Mary’s Avenue just a few hundred yards away from the pub when he was stabbed twice.

He managed to get to a neighbour’s front door at about 6.39pm and asked them to call an ambulance.

But Mr Isichei died just over an hour later after paramedics battled to save his life.

A man in his 30s has been arrested on suspicion of murder and he was treated in hospital overnight for minor injuries, the Metropolitan Police said.

Neighbour Raj Grover, 41, said his son Kevneet, 15, answered the door after Mr Isichei knocked and begged for an ambulance while calling out for his wife.

“I realised it was somebody who had been injured,” said Kevneet, whose 11-year-old sister also saw the injuries.

“He straight away started saying ‘Call an ambulance’. I said, ‘Okay, what’s happened?’ because I didn’t recognise him, I got scared.

“He said ‘Call an ambulance’ and then he collapsed. I called my dad.

“The ambulance let us down. When we called, they started asking so many questions. So many people were calling the ambulance, the police.

Police cordons remained in place on Saturday night
The father-of-three was walking to his home in St Mary’s Avenue

“The ambulance were asking so many questions, they took quite a few minutes, but then his face started to go white and his lips as well.”

Mr Grover said paramedics asked Mr Isichei to stand up and get onto a stretcher despite his wounds.

A London Ambulance Service spokeswoman said paramedics arrived within six minutes.

She added that asking a conscious patient to try to stand is “usual and accepted practice” as a way to assess mobility, and “often the quickest and safest” method.

The attack is not believed to be linked to any incident at the pub and Mr Isichei had left “peacefully”.

A friend said: “He just walked home as normal and something happened before he got home.

“He would come in about once a week, he played in the band and used to pop in for a chat, he never had more than one pint. He was a lovely fellow, really mild-mannered, a lovely man.”

According to his LinkedIn profile, Mr Isichei is the managing director of Broadway Construction, a family business he set up in 1974.

A man in his 30s has been arrested and is in hospital under police guard
A man in his 30s has been arrested on suspicion of murder

It said he and his wife Sandra had been married for more than 40 years and that he has also worked as a part-time coach for Wasps Rugby Club in Coventry.

The profile added: “Besides work I now play saxophone with an R & B Band and Jazz Ensemble.”

Mr Grover, director of Galaxy Real Estate, said: “He rang the bell and I went out, my son was there, he was shouting ‘Dad, come out’.

“I went downstairs and saw he [the victim] was full of blood and then I was running to pick up a towel.

“I put the towel and I was pressing to stop the blood, then my wife came out, we called the ambulance and the police.”

Reverend Dave Bookless, the vicar of St Mary’s church, which is opposite the scene, said an ambulance began to drive Mr Isichei away but stopped at a nearby park.

He said: “The ambulance ended up stopping just down the road.

“They were working on him there and trying to resuscitate him but sadly I think the injuries were too severe.

“It’s come as a huge shock. A lot of people are saying this is not the kind of area this happens.

“Although we’re kind of in the middle of urban, multicultural London, there’s quite a village feeling here.

“It happened in broad daylight in a residential street. People are really quite shocked.”

He is planning to open a book of condolence in the church.

Advertisement Find your dream job