Connect with us


Footballer Jlloyd Samuel was too badly burnt in car crash to ID, inquest hears after fake death claim | UK News



Footballer Jlloyd Samuel was so badly burnt in a car crash that he could not be visually identified, an inquest has heard following his sister’s claim that his death was faked.

The former Aston Villa and Bolton star died after his Range Rover burst into flames following a collision with another vehicle in May last year, a coroner was told.

Samuel’s sister Leslie-Ann has said she believes her brother was not at the wheel of the car when it crashed in High Legh, Cheshire, and that he is still alive.

In a series of social media posts, she has claimed the family have not been allowed to carry out their own DNA tests and said of her brother: “We know you are still out there.”

Samuel played 169 times for Aston Villa
Samuel played for Aston Villa and Bolton Wanderers during his career

However, Warrington Coroner’s Court heard on Tuesday that there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding Samuel’s death and no suggestion of any “foul play”.

The 37-year-old – who represented England at under-18, under-20 and under-21 level – had dropped his children off at school shortly before the crash.

Dr John Sellar, a forensic odontologist, told the court he was satisfied that teeth from the dead body matched a dental chart and radiographs taken from Samuel’s mouth prior to the crash.

Dr Sellar said visual identification of the body was not possible as it had been “extensively burnt”, adding: “People who know the victim would not have wished to have seen those images.”

Forensic biologist Alexandra Clark told the coroner that a blood sample taken post-mortem matched that of cellular material taken from the footballer’s hairbrush and clippers.

Samuel challenges Manchester United's Gary Neville in 2007
Samuel challenges Manchester United’s Gary Neville in 2007

She said that evaluation was done on the hairbrush to see whether the samples were a definite match to Mr Samuel and another person who had also used it, or whether the match to the former footballer was purely a coincidence.

But she said that the former was “a billion times more likely”, adding: “This is as clear as we can be.”

Detective Chief Inspector Paul Beauchamp told the court he looked into the potential for foul play or kidnapping in the death but said he found no evidence of either.

Inspector Liz Cunningham, from Cheshire Police, attended the crash on the day of Samuel’s death, and said of the identification: “Because of the involvement of fire in this particular case, it was evident that complexity would be added in.”

She said that she was satisfied by the dental evidence given by Dr Sellar and from the accounts of passers-by that it was Samuel.

Inspector Cunningham added that the police concluded there were no suspicious circumstances behind the death, saying: “It was nothing more complicated than a collision.

“It was a relatively straightforward collision involving two vehicles, one of which crosses on to the carriageway.”

The inquest continues.

Advertisement Find your dream job