Connect with us

Featured

#BoJoNoShow: Hunt taunts rival Johnson after Sky News debate postponed | Politics News

Published

on

Tory leadership hopeful Jeremy Hunt has taunted his rival’s refusal to take him on in a head-to-head Sky News debate, calling it a BoJoNoShow.

Mr Hunt had committed to take part in the debate with Boris Johnson this evening as the pair battle for the keys to Number 10.

Sky News has postponed the live broadcast until 1 July because Mr Johnson has so far declined the invitation.

The foreign secretary said he would instead answer people’s questions on Twitter and announced the plan with the hashtag #BoJoNoShow.

He tweeted: “Tonight I was meant to be debating Boris Johnson on Sky, answering questions about our plans for Britain.

“Sadly, Boris has pulled out – which I don’t believe is fair on you, the public. So from 8pm I will be answering as many of your questions as poss – tweet me using #BoJoNoShow.”

Mr Johnson’s supporters were quick to criticise the hashtag and express disappointment in Mr Hunt for the tone of his campaign.

More from Conservative Leadership Election 2019

Speaking to Nick Ferrari on LBC earlier, Mr Johnson batted away claims he is a coward, pointing to the 16 further hustings he and Mr Hunt will do before the leadership contest wraps up in about four weeks’ time.

As he left his London home this morning, Mr Hunt said of his and Mr Johnson’s Brexit strategy: “The plan may be similar but the person is not.”

Asked about his rival’s plan, he said: “That’s for him to explain, it’s why we want the debates.”

On whether the EU would budge on the Irish backstop issue he said: “If we send the right person, we have the best chance.”

Following the morning’s cabinet meeting, Mr Hunt was at the dispatch box in the House of Commons, where he appeared to win the backing of shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry, who congratulated him for making the final two.

She said: “It gives me an opportunity to congratulate the foreign secretary directly, not just for being in the final two, getting into the final two, but also being the only candidate who has the police outside his house for the right reasons.”

Mr Hunt called his rival a “coward” on Monday and said that Mr Johnson’s refusal to take part in the debate was “disrespectful” to Conservative Party members who have about two weeks to consider their choices before their postal ballots arrive.

On Twitter, Mr Johnson has committed to a similar event hosted by ITV next month.

Advertisement Find your dream job

Trending